THE NEW NORMAL:
ALL CHILDREN READING AT,
OR ABOVE, GRADE LEVEL BY THE END OF 3RD GRADE.
United2Read, supported by a U.S. Department of Education EIR grant, is a movement that partners with states and communities to ensure all children are reading at grade level by the end of 3rd grade by bringing the evidence-based A2i Professional Support System to more students and teachers in schools across the nation.
WHY DOES IT MATTER?
United 2Read addresses 3rd grade reading proficiency, the most important predictor of future success for children. Currently, two-thirds of 3rd graders across the nation are not reading proficiently, leading to lower graduation rates and continuing the cycle of intergenerational poverty that plagues many communities.
Benefits for States:
1) Ability to scale up a proven, ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act) aligned evidence-based resource to multiple districts and schools across the state, including those identified as needing improvement
2) The outcomes achieved by the innovations powered by Learning Ovations, create significant potential for a broad range of state initiatives:
- Achievement Gap
- Social / Emotional Learning
- English Language Learners
- MTSS / RTI
- Workforce Development
3) Significant systems level cost savings due to lower special education referral rates and reduced legacy costs associated with student retention and remediation in K-12.
Benefits for Community Stakeholders:
1) Radiating impact of improved 3rd grade reading on key community outcomes such as health, poverty, juvenile justice, etc.
2) Opportunity for community leaders to partner and invest in schools. By individualizing, we achieve outcomes for all kids, struggling and advanced readers. While we are focused on high need communities with struggling readers, we also have supporters who are focused on propelling the best and brightest for STEM professions. Everyone can benefit from the Learning Ovations innovations and investment measurement tracking capabilities in supporting all children to reach their highest potential.
3) Community ownership to ensure sustainability of A2i and improvement in student outcomes even if there is a change in district leadership.
Benefits for schools:
1) Opportunity to pursue mission critical programs with significant measurable and transformative outcomes.
2) Systemic improvement of teaching and learning through full A2i district implementation.
3) New community partnerships that can support student success in A2i schools (such as summer/after-school, tutoring/mentoring, etc.
Watch how United2Read has positively affected our partners in Elmsford, New York
If you'd like to see more stories, please check out our
In order to ensure A2i reaches more students, United2Read utilizes a systems-level approach that partners with states, school districts, and community partners to achieve short and long-term benefits for students inside and outside the classroom.
A partnership with United Way