United2Read, supported by a U.S. Department of Education EIR grant, is a movement that partners with states and communities to ensure all children are reading at grade level by the end of 3rd grade by bringing the evidence-based Learning Ovation's A2i Professional Support System to more students and teachers in schools across the nation.
WHY DOES IT MATTER?
United 2Read addresses 3rd grade reading proficiency, the most important predictor of future success for children. Currently, two-thirds of 3rd graders across the nation are not reading proficiently, leading to lower graduation rates and continuing the cycle of intergenerational poverty that plagues many communities.
In order to ensure Learning Ovation's A2i reaches more students, United2Read utilizes a systems-level approach that partners with states, school districts, and community partners to achieve short and long-term benefits for students inside and outside the classroom.
WHO IS IT FOR?
Learning Ovations Supports 3rd Grade Reading Outcomes Across The Community
A community strategy for social equity. Third grade reading outcomes continue to serve as a critical indicator of future success. The development of proficient skills in literacy does not only benefit an individual in their life pursuits, but is also associated with reductions in the cost for remediation services in schools, improved outcomes for communities where they live and work, and numerous other benefits that ultimately lead to systematic and transformative progress.
Unfortunately, as COVID has shown, our community education landscape is fragmented, and the myriad of incomplete solutions make it nearly impossible to create a focused, impactful, scalable, sustainable solution that can support student literacy at the school, district, or community level.
Research from communities across the country shows three factors that address these community-literacy challenges: (1) time (students need more time in instructional settings receiving effective instruction), (2) coherence between district classroom-based instruction and out-of-school supports, and (3) the leveraging and provision of community support.
Learning Ovations has created alignment across districts/schools and community organizations by providing all stakeholders with an ESSA Strong online platform capable of delivering access to common measures, a reliable database, and proven, evidence-based instructional recommendations through a series of new tools connected to the proven-ESSA Strong A2i algorithms being used successfully in schools across the country.
Here's one example: The Reading Check Up to support parents and caregivers in multiple languages in bringing the exact type of reading instruction required AND consistent with their classroom teachers recommendations
Our Community Partnerships Are In The News
Elmsford, New York
Building Unique Partnerships That Get Results
Benefits for States:
1) Ability to scale up a proven, ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act) aligned evidence-based resource to multiple districts and schools across the state, including those identified as needing improvement
2) The outcomes achieved by the innovations powered by Learning Ovations, create significant potential for a broad range of state initiatives:
- Achievement Gap
- Social / Emotional Learning
- English Language Learners
- MTSS / RTI
- Workforce Development
3) Significant systems level cost savings due to lower special education referral rates and reduced legacy costs associated with student retention and remediation in K-12.
Benefits for Community Stakeholders:
1) Radiating impact of improved 3rd grade reading on key community outcomes such as health, poverty, juvenile justice, etc.
2) Opportunity for community leaders to partner with schools and build a community-wide movement around 3rd grade reading proficiency through partnerships with Mayors, United Ways, Business, and Parents.
3) Community ownership to ensure sustainability of A2i and improvement in student outcomes even if there is a change in district leadership.
Benefits for schools:
1) Opportunity to engage donors through research-proven program that can track outcomes and provide donor impact reports.
2) Opportunity to invest in evidence-based program proven to improve teaching and learning throughout schools and districts.
3) Opportunity to address whole-child success through partnerships with A2i schools focused on expanded learning opportunities such as afterschool, summer, and attendance.